General Reflection/Summary of Project

With hindsight, I am able to reflect upon my project. I can note it’s success, disapointments, improvements and problems.

I believe my project was successful by collecting bespoke content and high quality images. I created an editorial that although was inspired (in terms of layout and other photographers), no other publication has discussed this topic in the same manner. However, I can identify weaknesses within my documentary, that with hindsight I could have improved upon.

One main weakness in my project is the images taken outside of the studio. When I took photographs in the studio, I had the benefits of time, lighting, repositioning etc. However, the photographs taken in the supermarket, pub and kitchen were taken without these resources. Therefore, the images are not of the high quality that the photographs featuring the skull are. Luckily, it is clear that the photographs are not supposed to be the strongest aspect of the documentary style articles – the content is. However, I would have preferred to conduct these shoots with the appropriate equipment to ensure continuity throughout the piece.

One aspect I would do differently is in regards to collecting sources for the ‘To dine for’ and ‘What’s cooking’ articles. In the supermarket, I photographed Ellen Burnup, a gluten-intolerant sufferer. I did this before the studio photoshoot. However, when I showed Karl drafts of my work and photographs, he commented on the lack of imagery without more documentary style images. Therefore, I had to collect willing sources in just over a week who would be willing to accompany me to a restaurant and would allow me to photograph them cooking. Unfortunately, the contacts I knew who lived in the UK stated it was either too short notice, they were at work or they didn’t respond. In hindsight, I should have taken the initiative to collect more photographs earlier in restaurants and a kitchen, but with time restrictions I didn’t. As a solution, Kevin Smith (my boyfriend) was featured in the ‘to dine for’ and ‘whats cooking’ articles. I clearly stated that we wanted to experience life with an allergy, as opposed to using him as a ‘fake source’ by claiming he suffered from something he didn’t. I ensured Karl approved of this before continuing, he did.

Another difficulty I had was my ability on InDesign. Although I believe my work is strong, i was not capable of producing exact similarities to The Sunday Times. As a solution to this, I tried to incorporate as much fine detail as possible, and experiment with the layout of the page. My peers had the opportunity to upload their project to wordpress, but this would not be suitable for my choice in topic or how I envisioned the project to be. Despite my lack of creative knowledge, I feel that my efforts with InDesign are notable, and with more experience I’d expect future work to be more successful.

My favourite images represent the milk allergy. I had to capture movement by milk being poured onto the subject, I created a bright, vibrant image through colour clashing. This is enhanced through my choice of white backdrop and white skull.

Despite the weaknesses and difficulties I have encountered, I believe that my magazine is a success. This can be exemplified in the close attention to detail I had. For example, my page numbers start from page 13. I made this decision based upon the research of magazines in general, and the Sunday Times. Normally, the first few pages of a magazine are filled with advertisements, contents page, editors letter, light-hearted columns and features. It would be unusual for a magazine to begin with an editorial like mine, thus explaining the page numbers. Furthermore, I believe that I created bespoke content and approached a daring, creative idea with open arms. I am yet to find one magazine that has used the same approach as I have to discuss the rise and stigma that surrounds food allergies. Furthermore, I have documented my work through WordPress throughout my project, which includes my research, thought process and intensive information including sourcing of contacts, test shots, reflections and inspiration.

Overall, I have put a lot of time, effort, resources and creativity into my Photojournalism project. I have approached a difficult, new subject that I had no knowledge on previously. It would have been very say to choose a subject that I had relevant sources lined up for, or that there is a lot of magazine articles that show similar work. In light of this, I believe my work demonstrates boldness and a daring choice, but one that I believe has paid off.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s